Benefits of Lemon Water – Healthy Life hacks
Those of us who suffer from cold sores will know that feeling when we're run down. The dreaded fear of another outbreak looming. Whilst Virasoothe works wonders at the first sign of a tingle and on outbreaks, ensuring our body is in optimal health will ensure the frequency of outbreaks decreases. In this article we explore one of the ways to help get rid of cold sores (by taking care of our overall health!)
One of the easiest, and most simple ways to ensure you have a healthy start to the day is by adding a squeeze of lemon in a glass of water in the morning. My morning ritual consists of firstly waking up (duh!), and as part of my morning ritual, I squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water and drink it. There are a myriad of health benefits to not only drinking a glass of water to start your day, but even more so by adding lemon juice into it. If you really want to get technical, you could also consider adding a teaspoon of honey in it as well. My preference is without, but that’s just me.
Some of the health benefits of having lemon with water are;
- Lemon is high in Vitamin C. This is a vital part of our digestive intake as it helps boost the immune system, and is a powerful antioxidant. If you imagine our bodies as similar to an apple when you cut it in half. Notice after a brief time left out, it will turn brown? This is known as oxidization and in some respects is like akin to rust on metal. Our bodies need vitamin C to help fight such occurrences. Vitamin C may also increase our body’s non-heme iron bioavailability up to four times. What the heck’s that? Glad you asked; it’s our body’s ability to absorb iron from non-meat sources. Cool huh!
- Lemon also helps with digestion. It has a very similar atomic structure to our own digestive system, so it can also help with bowel trouble. It has also been known to alleviate indigestion, and bloating.
- Lemons help fight the aging process. No fricken way! Yes way! Lemons help with collagen synthesis which in layman’s terms means it can help repair skin and as such fight wrinkles. You’re falling in love with lemons already I can tell. But wait, there’s more.
- Lemons may help you lose weight! What the?! So it turns out that lemons contain something called pectin which is found in citrus fruit. Pectin is a soluble fibre that gives a feeling of fullness, which in turn may (I say may, I don’t want to offer guarantee’s here) help you avoid snacking on the naughty stuff.
- Lemons also help in maintaining a healthy PH balance in your body. Lemons are one of the more alkalising foods available which is needed in the body to help reduce acidity levels.
- Cleanses the urinary tract. So lemons are a diuretic which helps to cleanse our bodies of toxins quicker. This also aids in reducing bad bacteria that may build up in the urinary tract.
- Lemons contain antiseptic properties which will also help in freshening your breath. If you have any concerns about whether the acidity in them will damage the enamel on your teeth, then you can always rinse your mouth out afterwards if your prefer.
- Lemons have high levels of potassium which helps with nerve and brain function. Lemons have also been known to ward off depression as this has been linked to low levels of potassium in the body.
- Lemons also contain Vitamin P which assists with blood-flow and capillary permeability.
- Lemons promote healing in the body. Due to the high levels of vitamin C, lemons can aid in the healing of the body by eliminating free radicals. Nifty huh!
- Detoxifies the liver! Is there anything these things can’t do? Lemons help the liver to produce bile, and will also prevent any excess bile flow. This also helps to decrease the amount of phlegm the body produces, and assists in dissolving gallstones.
There are undoubtedly other miracles that these tiny yellow friends/fruits can do, but hopefully this gives a bit of an insight into how the can help your body and provide a natural cold sore preventative.
On that note, I may go and chow down on a lemon I think. May you have a wonderful, healthy day!